May 20, 2021 - May 21, 2021
Securos UK: Tibial Plateau Levelling Osteotomy Wet Lab
CPD Central | London, England
Tibial Plateau Levelling Osteotomy (TPLO) Course - 1.5 Days
Lecture and Wet Lab
Tibial plateau levelling osteotomies have become popular techniques for the treatment of canine cranial cruciate ligament disease. Whilst it is more invasive than some of the other techniques and involves an osteotomy, there is some evidence that it may produce better results than other surgeries long term. We strongly recommend attending a practical course before attempting these techniques.
Securos Orthopaedic Institute has trained many veterinary surgeons worldwide to a level where they feel confident to use what they have learned on the course in their clinical practice. In the morning session we will initially focus on the pathophysiology of cranial cruciate ligament disease, the biomechanics of TPLO and surgical planning of the technique. In addition, there will be an opportunity to practise planning using digital imaging software.
The afternoon and following morning sessions will focus on familiarity with the instrumentation on sawbones and an opportunity to practice the technique in a wet lab.Course Objectives:
- To understand the biomechanics of the cruciate ligament deficient stifle and tibial plateau levelling osteotomy
- To understand patient assessment and the selection of candidates for TPLO
- To understand pre-operative surgical planning and implant selection
- To develop familiarisation with and appropriate use of instrumentation
- To understand the post-operative management of patients
- To identify potential complications and how to avoid and deal with them
- To learn and practice the surgical technique taught in a dry lab and wet lab